Sunday, February 14, 2010

La Vie Boehm!!

Well,  I know I've been away for awhile, and those of you that communicate with me outside of this blog have started to express everything from concern to excitement that I really did end up in a drunk tank down here.  I assure I have not, My slowing down on the blogging is due to 2 reasons:

1.  I am having experiences and inner learning that goes beyond the pontification promised in the title banner of this post...there are simply things that I am going to have too much difficulty blogging about.  And:

2. I have slipped into the traveling life that calls me to be here and now (I don't mean internet cafes).  ANd so it has been easier to have new experiences than to relate the ones that happened.

HOWEVER!!

I love all of you, and I DO want to share.  Instead of trying to relate everything, I have put together a dozen or so pictures to sort of "montage" the last 2 weeks.  I figured that if I try to tell you all the awesomeness:

1. I will get bogged down and never finish.  ANd:

2. We'll have no new stories to talk about when I get back and show up on your doorstep unexpectedly!

I hitch hiked from Puerto Madryn to Comodoro Rivadavia.
Picked up by a trucker who said my sign was perfect and he dropped me on the outskirts of Trelew.
Then by a family (two young boys) from Italy who had purchased their VW bus and were driving it all over SA.  We went to a paleontological museum (their 3rd - apparently the kids loved dinosaurs!!) and then I decided (given the slowness of their vehicle) that I needed to move on and got picked up by a very nice guy in a Renault, who took me across the great expanse of the Patagonia scrub to C. Rivadavia.  He didn't wnat any sweets but we talked about EVERYTHING!  (my Castellano is getting good!)

This is Kofla.  (not his real name)  A wonderful, and powerful spirit.  He is an artesanal (makes things with his hands - mostly jewelry) and I fixed his flashlight - he is clearly thrilled!

This is my dad (Pancho - no joke, short for Francisco) and sister (Marú) in C. Rivadavia.  NOW GIVE ME THAT MATÉ!!

Artesanal for a day

I have officially gotten good at cartwheels and hand stands! (Beach in Comodoro)


My mom (Laura) in Comodoro.  This is the day that Kofla, myself and Nati (another beautiful soul who got a little bit of the Kofla and ended up traveling around America with him) left the East Coast to hitch our way over to the West Coast.
This is Manchita.  THe dog who helped me through my Pancho withdrawals.  (we slept together - mom, please don't teach Pancho to read, he might never forgive me)

We turned around and walked away from this beautiful home and city.

Our destination was El Bolson, a hippie community here in Argentina.  THere is a famous artesanal fair every other day there, and it is everything great that you might imagine a hippie community would be!

HEY HEY!!  Who's that?!?!  Familiar Faces!!  Sherri and Lane from Alaska and Puerto Madryn!  YAY!!  We have joined forces of good here in El Bolson!


We went hiking up in the mountains around EL Bolson to camp on Rio Azul.  We stopped here to make lunch.

My hair has gotten so long that I pulled this out of it.  I don't know how long it was there, or how it even got there, and yes, it is as big as it looks.

MY BIRTHDAY CAKE!! (3 store-bought pastries stacked up.  ANd yes, that is a lighter I'm blowing out.  BEST BIRTHDAY CAKE EVER!  We had a BBQ with Kofla, Nati, Lane, Sherri, and me.  Beef, sausages, veggies, roast onion and garlic, and cake!

The fun house mirror effect takes away A LOT of the stunning beauty of the vistas available on all sides of my tent!  AWESOME!


Trout Dinner (a specialty in this area).  It's no baby back ribs, but an awesome birthday dinner nonetheless.


A very very very small taste of the beauty and artistry of this town.  (Picture taken just this morning)

Despite my enjoyment here (as evidenced by all the exclamation points) it's almost time for me to move on.  Tomorrow is Chillan, Chile to visit my former Spanish teacher to debate the pros and cons of the Argentinian accent, and then likely I will race on up to Peru to see what it has to offer.

Thank you all for following along.  As I would say (and have been saying) in Castellano

¡Estoy muy agradecido!  Gracias.

La palabra Castellano del dia:

agradecido - grateful


5 comments:

Randy said...

A new posting from you!!! Great and the pictures - thanks - that means I'm still riding on the coat tails of your adventure - I was wondering what this would really look like - my imagination takes me just so far - though interesting - the pics have enhanced my musings of your whereabouts. Much love from PDX

Uncle Chris said...

¡Tenga un gran rato durante Carnaval!

Unknown said...

yay, new blog entry! the pictures are AWESOME (and yes, i'm using that word correctly in this moment) and totally help my imagination out with your travels. Your birthday dinners look delicious and I'm pretty jealous about that trout dinner. Mmmmm.
xoxo

McLean said...

R - I think I've seen that your imagination takes you to great places!! Thanks for sticking so loyally with things here!

UC - SI. No hay Carnaval aqui, pero nos hacemos nuestra Carnaval ¡todas las dias en El Bolson!

N - It was very delicious. And Jay will be pleased to see that we take his blog posts so seriously...if he ever got on this thing! (oh jayyyyy....)

Anonymous said...

I mean this in the nicest way possible, m'kay?

I'm pretty sure I'd like to kick you in the face right now.

My ass hurts from sitting in my office chair too long (yes, that's all and no, that's not a euphemism for some dirty sex act). And you're doing handstands on...well, is that a beach? A sidewalk? It doesn't really matter because you don't have to deal with my boss wherever you are.